Our client is an e-commerce company that sells essential oil diffusers in the United States. In June 2019 they hired us to manage their Google Ads campaigns. After helping them increase revenue by 141%, we knew that to get to the next level and keep growing we had to get to know their customers much better.
Since their main sales channel was the website, we decided to start by doing A/B testing on the landing pages in order to improve the conversion rate. However, it took us a long time to collect data that was statistically significant. In addition, all the tests we did were based on the team’s opinions and did not necessarily take into account the elements that could add more value to users.
In order to better understand how users navigate the website, we decided to implement software that allowed us to see heatmaps of each page, conduct surveys to get user feedback and record user navigation on the website. With this software we gathered the following data:
- How far people scroll on each page of the website.
- Which sections of each page get the most attention from users.
- What elements users click on the most.
- Users’ opinion of the website.
- Which website elements were the most valuable.
- What changes users would like to see on the page to improve their experience.
After collecting the information and feedback, we decided to perform new A/B tests, this time basing our hypotheses on the data we collected. Additionally, every time we did a test, we activated the recording tool to collect the recordings of each user.
When a test was finished, we analyzed each recording individually and categorized it according to the activities that each user carried out on the website. Some of the categories we used were the following:
- Uses the Main Menu
- Sees Product Images
- Adds Product to Cart
- Clicks on the Similar Products Section
- Reads the Product Description
- Reads the Product Reviews
After analyzing more than 3,000 recordings and gathering the data, we found new insights and performed the following tests:
- We found that 15% of users read product reviews, so we prioritized this section throughout the page.
- We observed that 55% of people checked all product images, so we improved the quality of the images and added videos to show how the product worked.
- We discovered that 12% of users checked the Similar Products and Recommendations section, so we added these sections to the shopping cart page and checkout process.
It took us 9 months to run more than 25 tests on the website. After this time, we saw that the Conversion Rate went up 32%. This also generated a 36% increase in sales. In addition, the average time a person spent on the website increased by 15% and the Bounce Rate decreased by 18%.
About Centrico Digital
Our 6 years of experience managing paid campaigns for clients in different industries helped us develop a methodology in which we prioritize data in order to understand what works for each company. We believe that experimentation is the key to innovation and that it is better to act, fail, and learn than to stagnate and avoid risks.
Schedule a free discovery call. We will uncover the concrete steps you can take to find, tap, and magnify the potential for growth hiding in your company.